Thursday, October 3, 2013

Ice Cream from Avocados?

 
 “Without ice cream, there would be darkness and chaos.” 
-Don Kardong (US Olympic runner)
 


 
I couldn't agree more. As of summer 2009 when I found out I was allergic to dairy,
my life has been a shade of darkness and chaos.

No Cookies 'n Cream ice cream.
 
Or Brownie Fudge
 
No Watermelon ice cream with the fake seeds.
 
Or Coffee ice cream that my grandma used to make for us when we'd visit the farm. (Highlight of childhood....caffeine at night! Poor parents).

....And, most sadly, good-bye to Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream,
which used to be one of my top favorites.

Tragedy? Yes.

Thankfully life in my lungs is sweeter than ice cream! But I do miss the huge bowl of ice cream I
unnecessarily used to devour every night. Which is why I love this recipe for (dairy-free)
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.
 

Made creamy from avocados
 
                                         

 
And sweetened with honey
 
 
 
                                       Mixed with oil, almond milk,
                      & peppermint extract
 
                                         
 
 
Ingredients you'll need:
 
- 2 ripe avocados << slightly mushy to touch is "ripe"
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 5 Tablespoons honey (or more!)
- 2 Tablespoons oil (Original recipe suggests Coconut, I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1/2 t peppermint extract (I added more!)
- lots of mini chocolate chips!! (Make sure to use small pieces! Otherwise when the ice cream freezes these babies will be hard to bite into..)
 
- PATIENCE :) Ice cream has to freeze! I was being my typical slightly-impatient self and got too excited and had to try it before it was completely frozen :P Green pudding was a little weird. But I promise the end result of this recipe is worth it!
 
                                  
What you do:
 
1. Put all ingredients in a blender except for the chocolate.
2. My favorite part--taste test! :) Add more peppermint or honey as needed. Be careful with the peppermint as it can immediately take effect on the taste!
3. Place your green beauty of a mixture into a freezer-safe container.
 
 
 
 
4. Let your ice cream freeze for 4-6 hours.
5. Add coconut, chocolate syrup, shaved chocolate, & more chocolate chips!!
 
My advice: Eat this for breakfast. Eat it for dessert. Eat it while you watch either
The Grinch or Shrek--because it is the *perfect* green shade of Grinch or Ogre.
 
 
 And add too much chocolate too it. :)
 
                                     
 

 Credit: I adapted this recipe from The Detoxinista.
Click on this link for more creative & DE-licious recipes with lots of allergy-free options :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment