Monday, September 23, 2013

Pumpkin Brownies. Two Ingredients.

 "Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of a pumpkin."
-Simone Schwartz-Bart

 Pumpkin. Brownies.


I’ve been trying to eat gluten-free for the past few weeks, and I blame these as the culprit to my diet breaker. (Okay, not diet...fake allergy slash experiment...)

I just….had to try one brownie.

And one…turned into three.

This is why baking, my friends, is an action verb on “how to love your neighbor.”  J I made these for a sweet family I’ve met in Ohio—otherwise the pan would’ve been gone in seconds.

YUM. YUM. YUM.
     
 
 
You only need two items and two minutes to prep:

-          1 can of pumpkin

-          1 box of brownie mix (we aren't adding the eggs, oil, and water)

(This cost me just a little over $3 dollars. Perfect dessert gift if you have no piggy bank like me)
 
Directions:

-          Blend the mix and pumpkin. Pour into a pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 F, until toothpick comes out clean.
 
-      Savor some autumn-y chocolate goodness in your mouth. :)
 
(Funny side note: I sprinkled cocoa powder on my brownies, which looks pretty but I *don't* recommend. Almost choked on the powder. Awesome.) 
 
 
To lovingly harp on the nutrition side (my personal fave), these brownies are now lower in calories, cholesterol, fat, and higher in Vitamin A compared to the boring box recipe. (The serving size for 1/2 cup of pumpkin is 300% of the "daily value" for Vitamin A...). Seasonal, different, cheap, and PUMPKIN.
 
Would you like a taste of autumn?
 

 

 Credit: I adapted this recipe from the 'Six Sisters' blog site. Worth checking out!

No comments:

Post a Comment