Monday, December 3, 2012

Today, Tomorrow, and the Unknown

 

Ever find yourself planning the future? I do this often. I daydream about what I want to happen, what I hope doesn’t happen, and what I think really will happen. My emotions soon become a mixture of hope, dread, and worry.   

After 21 years of attempting to plan out my life, let’s just say no plan has gone according to plan.

It almost gets me laughing. There’s no way you or I can fathom every trial, conversation, blessing, or difficulty that can be packed into a day. Man has conquered so many ‘elements,’ but somehow we can’t figure out what tomorrow, a seemingly simple day may hold?! It leaves no option but to recognize something else is in control.

Other people, situations, money, education… these are just a few things that seem to govern my life.  

But I’ve noticed something.   


If I choose to let myself believe a situation has supreme control over my life, I get worried.

If I choose to let myself believe other people have supreme control over my life, I get fearful.

If I choose to let myself believe my attributes (my appearance, talents, ect) hold supreme power over my life, I get anxious.


My emotions reveal where my trust is placed. I may confess my God with my mouth, but what is my heart confessing when emotions rise? Most times, I am believing people or situations control my life.

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.” –Proverbs 16:9
 
 No matter what I say, no matter what I do, and no matter what others do, God is sovereign. He establishes our steps.


In times of worry, anxiety, or fear, I can rest in the promises of a God who has promised to be my Helper and Refuge (Psalm 118:7), has plans to prosper and not to harm me (Jeremiah 29:11), works all things together for my good (Romans 8:28), and loves me with a steadfast love that is BETTER than life (Psalm 63:3).

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27

  Real peace in a world of chaos. These are not promises for only 'weak' people. Being able to cope with stress, anxiety, or fear on our own strength is only managing the problem--it is not freeing from its grasp.

Mark 4:35-41. Jesus and his disciples are on a boat in the midst of a storm. The storm is so violent, in fact,  it appears the boat may be sunk. In the meantime...Jesus is found sleeping!! After being frantically woken up, Jesus (I imagine him peacefully yawning, still half-asleep) speaks to the crashing waves, the high winds, and simply tells them to cease.  An unearthly calm ensues. Jesus then questions his disciples—why were they fearful?  Where was their faith?

    I’d like to think this storm serves as a metaphor for any life trial. Do you believe that our God is in control—over today, tomorrow, and the unknown future? 
                                                                                  ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~

“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Matthew 10: 28-30    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment